Rarotonga has a few supermarkets .. these are generally open Monday – Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm and Saturdays 8.00am –2.00pm / 4.00pm
NB: Prime Foods has the largest selection of meats
- CITC Main Supermarket – has wide selection of groceries, including wine, beers, fresh produce and limited meats (Located on the main road… between the Airport and Avarua town centre)
- Prime Foods – a boutique style with a large selection of fresh meats and produce (Located St Joseph Road, Avarua town centre (just off the main road)
- Foodland – a basic Supermarket (very limited selections) (Located on the main road… right in the town centre)
- Wigmores Superstore – a large selection, including fresh produce and limited meats… an organic and vegan/vegetarian section – open 24/7 (Located in Vaimaanga (Southern side of the island)
- Super Brown – Tupapa – good basic selection of groceries, with some fresh produce (no fresh meat) – open 24/7 (Located on the main road in Tupapa)
There are two main food markets in Rarotonga. (Cash preferred)
Te Punanga Nui Market is open every Saturday morning from 7am until midday - mingle with the locals tasting home cooked fresh dishes, as well as a range of locally grown tropical produce. You can also enjoy crafts music and entertainment.
Muri Night Food Market is open several nights per week, and proving to be very popular. Locals sell a mix of pre-prepared dishes and freshly cooked local and European foods, with a good variety available. Eat under the stars while being entertained by the singing and ukeleles or ask for takeaway and eat later at home.